Tuesday, July 7, 2009

my memory keepers

In two days time, I'll be enjoying a short breakaway in the city of Perth. I'm thrilled, to spend quality time with the family, at the same time go trigger happy, experience my first "winter", and also to partially escape this crazy city for just a little while albeit it meant missing opportunities, like joining the Deloitte tax challenge 09. Life works consistent with the economic term, opportunity cost, doesn't it? Choosing the best alternative, sacrificing the next best alternative.

Life has been good thus far. I'm totally enjoying the freedom of holidays. One precious day of my holidays went towards spring cleaning my room, since the room was in utter disaster prior to my final paper. Milo sachets, books, sweaters, miscellaneous scattered everywhere... now it's so neat, I feel accomplished, seeing I'm a partial "neat freak". (: Whilst I was sorting out the mess, I took time off to reminisce whenever I come across little notes, letters, and things that brought back memories. Things of sentimental value, I can never find the heart to throw them away...



#1 Classic hand folded stars in Patrick. Fond memories, this one. Bet you'd never thought I'd kept it till today, in a small box, tucked away in the depths of my room. I laughed at how the stars aren't symmetrical, but in the end, it's the thought that always counts.


#2 Shiny stickers! Call me childish, but I'm still a kid at heart. My collections of stickers from 10 years ago, is now destroyed. So many empty spots, where it was once filled to the brim. Emoe. Haha, I kid, I got over the sticker stage already. These are just... remnants of my happy childhood. (:


#3 Pass-a-message key chain. High school. Form 3. We were all so innocent. Love was so easily defined. Hahahaha, this was a set up, and it was such a big deal back then, gossips and all. Looking back, I'm glad a beautiful friendship is still there, albeit the high school funny little incidents.


#4 Dried flowers in a wine glass. I always thought that throwing flowers away when they wither is such a wastage, such a pity. This bunch of flowers above were my 20th birthday gift from Wae Lern and Harry, to preserve it, I tore the petals out and store them up. It currently looks like potpourri without smell.


#5 Ornaments. See the miniature hand painted vase? I bought it as a souvenir from my Mount KK hike, just cause they were too cute to resist. The seashell mirror, from ancient age, Leo Installation's souvenir. Heineken beer cap because I simply collect weird things, bottles, bottle caps/corks, sugar sachets, and other lil random things. (:


#6 " I guess we always stuck out like a sore thumb..." So agreeable, I read through so many letters that day itself, and boy, it made me smile silly to myself. You know, I'm glad we stuck out like sore thumbs, because in the end, we're not the losing end. Thank you, for sticking by me. I hope, I've been a good enough friend. ):


#7 Proud to once be a Cool Cool Kit-Kat. Rangers molded half my life. The number of camps I've been, the sunburnt skin, carolling, sleeping in tents, waking up early, kayaking, abseiling, camporama '04, advancement camps... funny when I think back of when I was 14, I feel so... old, in the sense that now I'm a cmdr, no longer a ranger. I've grown a long way.


#8 Movie stubs are also in the list of weird things I keep. But as I was going through the stubs the other day, I'd realized that most of them are already faded, or in the process... I ended up dumping the faded ones away.


#9 Postcards, from various countries. From Melbourne, Cairo, Manchester, Taipei, India, Sydney, Beijing, Incheon, Japan, Houston... and the list goes on and on. I know it isn't easy to bother writing to me from everywhere, but I'm glad you did, and I really appreciate it. One day I'll buy a photo album and compile it all up together. (:



Alright, it's getting late I should curl in bed and rest. Oh last note, through it all, this song has helped me through wonders.

"With Christ in the vessel I can smile at the storm,
smile at the storm,
smile at the storm,
With Christ in the vessel I can smile at the storm,
as we go sailing home... "

Try putting some faith in Him when you're weary, He welcomes you back all the time.
Every single time.
Thank you God, for being with me.

No comments: